Monday, April 18, 2011

So tired of the waiting!

What do mares teach us? Patience. Lots and lots and lots of patience!
Waiting for 2 mares to foal requires a lot more patience than I possess. Today, Poppi is at day 350, and Medusa is at day 333. *sigh*
Medusa seems to be progressing much faster than Poppi, despite a due date of 17 days later. Hopefully, that means I will get the filly I'm wanting, since colts seem to take longer to "cook".
I've been testing Poppi's milk with pool test strips, since I don't know much about her breeding history other than she has had one foal, and she aborted her 2010 foal. Her calcium is testing at about 150, and her PH is holding at about 7.2.
I have not tested Medusa's milk, as I'm sure the cranky witch would love to take a shot at my head. As her pregnancy progresses, she is getting more and more grouchy. Poppi on the other hand, is such a sweet mare.

I hope to be able to update later this week with foal pictures. I hope that Poppi gives me a bay colt and Medusa gives me a buckskin filly, but as long as they are happy, healthy babies, I'm a lucky girl. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment