Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lets talk about the weather!

Today, I would like to piss and moan about the cold snap we are having in Wisconsin following the huge snow storm that just went through. We got about 18" of snow, 30 MPH winds, and now we are in a deep freeze with lows around -15.

The outlet that my tank heater is plugged into took a shit, my water hose froze solid, and my damn truck gelled up this morning! I am so ready for it to warm up!

We got the outlet fixed last night thanks to Timmy and Chaz, so now the steers have liquid to drink. We dragged the hose down to the heated part of the lower barn to thaw out (dragging hoses around sucks. However, it doesn't suck nearly as bad as hauling buckets!). I had to 2 foot my truck most of the way to work, but she is now in the shop warming up.

I really hate Wisconsin winters. On the bright side, neither of my frost free hydrants (which I hate with a PASSION) have frozen yet. I pray every night that they stay nice and warm and keep working like they are supposed to. I am not looking forward to having to dig one or both of them up and take the torch after them! Kim and I did adopt the heat gun from the shop. Horsepower Acres is now the proud new owner of a slightly used heat gun, and Pure Diesel Power needs to buy a new one. :)

Kim has been frozen solid for the last 5 days. I think we are all pretty tired of having little snot-cicles hanging from our noses. I got pretty annoyed last night when I got my jeans wet while rinsing and refilling the waterer for the chickens. They froze solid instantly. Luckily, I remembered to put on a pair of thermal underwear so it didn't freeze right to my leg. Crunchy, ice crusted pants are no fun to walk around in!

Speaking of chickens, our girls don't seem to care that the days are short and it's cold outside. They are laying too many eggs! We have been giving them to whomever will take them. In this cold snap the eggs that are layed after we leave in the morning are frozen by the time we collect them after work. Silly chickens! I hope they figure out it is winter and slow down the production soon!

Stay warm my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment